Ode to the Marquee
[I just spent 5 minutes looking on the internet for a picture of a white marquee that resembled the marquee we had on our campus for the last six months for recruiting (it was taken down today)...but couldn't find anything that resembles it, so I'll make do with a random image of a white marquee with a nice building behind it. But it's got nothing to do with LBS, don't get any thoughts. Our buildings look fabulous, but not like this.]Ode to the Marquee
Oh, Marquee, thou loveliest of temporary structures,
Thou large white mothership of promise,
Home of endless schmoozing, elbowing and business cards,
Cornucopia of sandwiches, fingerfood and gorgeous desserts,
Centre of the Milkround universe,
Nucleus of networking, nibbles and nosy-ness,
If your walls could divulge their secrets,
What stories would they tell?
Stories of hopes and dreams,
Dashed by recruiters and spilled wine on their clothes.
Stories of disappointments and disillusionment,
Caused by lousy ppt-slides and all-too-talkative directors.
Stories of grandeur and illusions,
Hoping for that one big plum job landing in your lap.
Stories of waiting in line to talk to someone,
And hoping to make a good impression.
Oh Marquee, your temporary presence comforted us for months,
And now you're gone, buried somewhere
Til next year...
[PS just realised that I wished I titled the last post 'Salsa on socks'. Like the alliteration much better. Wish I thought of it before!]
[PS2 For all you tech-geeks out there: StikiPad is a really cool wiki on the net (haven't tried it yet, but the website looks great), and if you don't want any of the really fancy schmancy features like attaching files, it's free.]

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home